Thursday 1 December 2011

Tree climbing hippy

CHRISTMAS IS COMING




So that's why I am up a tree.
















At some point last week Mum decided we should have lights in the tree in the front garden. Being the good son and accomplished tree climbing electrician that I am I decided if I kept very quiet for a day or two the idea would go away. As luck would have it of course, although mum struggles to remember what day it is the lights just wouldn't be forgotten.


Google, "exterior led xmas lights", checkout and they are on their way. Arrive Tuesday but even an accomplished acrobat like myself shouldn't climb in gale force winds and torrential rain so another days respite.


Wednesday use the cunning "shall we go somewhere nice for lunch" ploy, followed by "shall we have a nice drive out to Medbourne" on the way back. Very enjoyable day but on our return "what about my lights"


Today, no wind, no cloud not even any sign of impending rapture so I cant put it off any longer. I'm meant to be a tree hugger not a tree climber but out come the ladders and here we go. Three hours of balancing and swearing, six sets of lights and  smelling slightly of pine sweat and fear I am done. Luckily Mum stayed very close to the ladder in case of emergencies, although not too sure what her plan was to rescue an overweight hippy plumetting to earth from a great height I felt strangely reassured.


All finished just as dusk approaches so we stand back and hit the on button. Hard to tell what shone the brightest, the lights or Mums smile as she saw them.


As I pack the ladders and bits and bobs away Mum stands on the corner pointing to the lights, waving to cars pedestrians pigeons and anything else that takes her fancy "look......look...... lights" lovely.


Sarah in from work at seven with fish and chips with curry sauce, Mum staring through the window at the lights, no mention of the weekend away and 1985 on radio 2....all in all a great day.

















   

4 comments:

  1. Oh bless her cotton socks. That made me cry (and laugh - pine, sweat and fear... haha!). I'm so pleased that she was pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read that then realised i had a stupid grin on my face.

    ReplyDelete