Saturday 24 March 2012

Pictures at last

At Last Some Pictures of Mums "Little house"


 The shower. Programmable to limit the maximum flow and temperature to avoid scalding.
 Mirror and units. Also quite a good view of the waterproof wall panelling.
 Toilet And heated towel rail.

The cursed mirror doors and looking through to the wet room from the bed..
 Bed, blind and voiles.
Wet room door and shelving. Continues over the door to the wardrobe on the left.
From the hall looking through the new door into the "little house"






















The wetroom, waterproof panelled from floor to ceiling, has been made large enough to allow a chair to be used and plenty of access for a carer as and when the need should arise.


No Day off.


As I think I may have mentioned previously, my younger sister has cut her working week from five to four days to enable her to travel over and spend some time with Mum and give me a day off. Unfortunately, due to a medical condition that required her to be in close proximity to a bathroom at all times she couldn't make it this week, I didn't realise just how much we would miss her. Luckily Sarah took Mum clothes shopping this morning so half a day off and a lie in.


Sometimes you don't realise just how much of your day is filled with care, and how much longer it takes to get anything done. A simple thing like popping down to the shops is no longer a 5 minute affair. By the time Mum has decided on the correct combination of jumpers, coats, vests and gloves there's an hour gone. A trip round Sainsburys with all the wonderful things Mum has "never seen before", each one needing a closer inspection and full description.


I realise that as things progress more and more of my time will be dedicated to Mum. I read a few other blogs written by other carers for dementia sufferers at various stages to try to help me to prepare for what may be to come. One written by Bee is well worth a read, she is having a bit of a hard time at the moment so it would be lovely if some of you would pop on over to her blog, "her absent mind" (opens in a new window), have a read and maybe say hello? 



3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous 'little house'. She is clearly very much loved. And thank you for the plug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it seems a long time to you, but you really have done very well to not only get the work done, but getting Carol settled in as well. Quite an achievement since our visit on Boxing Day.

    PS. I like Fabia's idea. I am plucking up courage to ask my boss for a shorter working week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words Godfather, I must admit it did go a lot smoother than we expected it to. The next item to be planned is our Grand tour de France.
    Oh, I wouldn't count on your boss being as accommodating as Fabias!!

    ReplyDelete